Friday, October 31, 2008

Tag Security Blanket

These security blankets are one of the main reasons I wanted to start sewing. I know that sounds crazy. Most people want to make clothes or pillows, but for some reason I fell in love with these precious little things. I know exactly why... When I was little, in order to go to sleep I would have to have my thumb in my mouth and the fingers on my other hand would be rubbing a ribbon together. It had to be a certain kind of ribbon, too. Either a grosgrain ribbon or a satin ribbon with a rough back side. It had to make a certain noise and have a certain feel. I was very picky with my ribbons.

I put all different kinds of ribbons on these blankets... just in case the child has a special preference like I did. They measure about 12-13 inches square. The front of the blanket is a soft cotton, and the back is the soft minky material.

I love these fabrics shown. They're from Sandi Henderson's Farmer's Market collection. They can be pretty expensive, so I try to get a better deal from ebay sellers. Hobby Lobby has some really cute fabrics (and 40% off coupons on their website and in Sunday papers), as well as Amy Butler, Michael Miller, Robert Kaufman, Heather Bailey, and Joel Dewberry.

No comments: